SCRIMP WITH FRIENDS OF THE EMPRESS DISCOUNTS AND SPLURGE ON SOME OF VICTORIA’S BEST DINING, SPA SERVICES, AND MORE
How much would you expect to pay to join a club that gives you year-round discounts of 10% to 20% on some of Victoria’s best hotel rooms, spa and hair-salon services, restaurant meals, purchases of fresh flowers, rounds of golf, whale-watching tours, and more? How about . . . no fee at all?
If you live in British Columbia, you can join the locals’ loyalty club at the Fairmont Empress Hotel to get some amazing deals! Membership in new Friends of the Empress club is FREE, and you’ll receive a member card to show for discounts at the Empress Hotel and its partner businesses around the city.
New partners are being added regularly, and you’ll be e-mailed a monthly newsletter with specials available only to Friends of the Empress. The part that amazes me is that all discounts are offered to locals year-round, not just in the off-season when tourist visitation declines.
(The Fine Print: “All benefits are based on availability and may not be combined with other promotions or specials. Restrictions may apply to special events; please ask for details at time of reservation. Reservations recommended for all services.”)
Here is the list of bargains I now have access to as a member of Friends of the Empress:
AT THE EMPRESS HOTEL
- 20% off regular menu prices in the elegant Empress Room; the clubby Bengal Room with its signature curry buffet (excluding Friday and Saturday nights); on the Veranda Terrace overlooking the Inner Harbour; and in the refined Tea Lobby with its world-famous (and famously expensive) Afternoon Tea service.
- 10% off the Empress Hotel’s best available room rates when you book online.
- 15% off spa treatments at the hotel’s Willow Stream Spa, Sundays thru Thursdays, and 10% off any retail product at the spa.
- 20% off at Tasar’s Jewellery and all fashion boutiques in the Empress.
- 15% off souvenirs and other merchandise in The Fairmont Store.
AT PARTNER BUSINESSES
- 20% off at Five Star Whale Watching (www.5starwhales.com).
- 15% off Victoria Carriage Tours (www.victoriacarriage.com) of 30 minutes or longer; reservation required, not valid on holidays.
- 10% off at Flowers on Top (www.flowersontop.com), official supplier of the Empress Hotel and, in my opinion, hands-down the best local florist with the freshest product at the best prices in Victoria.
- 20% off services and 10% off retail product at Fiorio Hair Salon (www.fiorio.com).
- 20% off guided tours of the Empress Hotel by Walkabout Historical Tours (250-592-9255; www.walkabouts.ca). I’ve done this tour and it’s very affordable and entertaining.
- 10% off at LA Limousine (250-391-9000; www.lalimo.ca) for rentals of two hours or more.
- 20% off clothing at the Olympic View Golf Club (www.golfbc.com/courses/olympic_view) onsite golf shop. Two-for-one private student golf lessons. Reduced rates on rounds of golf (varies by season), including a power cart at no extra charge.
To join, you must apply for free membership via the Friends of the Empress web page at http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/promotions/friends-of-the-empress