There are few places in Canada where locals can enjoy theatre under the stars in the middle of winter. But in the temperate city of Victoria, the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort is hosting Christmas Starlight Cinema from Dec. 6 through Dec. 21, 2011. Free holiday-themed movies are projected on an outdoor screen, and singles, couples, and families are invited to bundle up and watch the show.
The hotel provides patio heaters; guests are asked to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. Hot cocoa and other treats are available for purchase. While the movies are free, donations to Santa’s Anonymous are warmly welcomed.
All shows start at 6 p.m. Here is the movie schedule for the month:
- Dec. 6, 2011: Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
- Dec. 7, 2011: White Christmas (1954)
- Dec. 13, 2011: The Grinch (2000), Jim Carrey version
- Dec. 14, 2011: Home Alone (1990)
- Dec. 20, 2011: A Christmas Carol
- Dec. 21, 2010: It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
HOLIDAY ROOM RATES
If you’re visiting Victoria over the holidays or have guests who need a room, the Ocean Pointe Resort has an excellent winter special for overnight stays from Dec. 1, 2011 through Jan. 5, 2012—subject to availability.
Book online using promotion code XC9 for rooms starting at $99 per night (plus taxes).
- Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort & Spa (250-360-2999; www.deltavictoria.com), 45 Songhees Road, Victoria, BC.